This project was pretty cool. I “wrote” and illustrated this short comic for Shafer’s Collision. The character design was already established allowing me to focus on the cover and interior work. The client intends to use these as a promotional pamphlet (the last page having an ad or coupon printed on it) and the comic is intended to be colored in by kids.
The cover was my favorite part, though. I thought it would be pretty cool to go with a retro style layout and have the art foreshadow the action within, like the classic comics of yesteryear. I did two versions, a weathered and dog-eared version meant to play up the vintage feel of the art and a “clean” version. The client preferred the clean version free of Photoshopped creases and tears which is understandable. However, I was so happy with the way it turned out I thought it would be a shame to share it here.
I thought I should let everyone know that I have, in fact, been working on the second chapter of Reformation. Tim and I have been very busy for the past several weeks with work and family obligations. Apparently, there is no such thing as the “bill fairy” to magically show up and support you financially.
Oh well. We keep at it when we can. Below are some new page concepts for the second chapter. The second “book” (if you want to call it that) is nearly laid out and I think this time around I’m going to finish the layouts a couple chapters ahead so that we can build up some kind of update buffer. We’ll see as work and life permit. In the meantime, feast your eyes on all this sketchy goodness.
So, I’ve been away for a little while. Not really away so much as “moved away” to a new house and studio, etc. I now have an entire floor of the house to call my own, a basement actually… so it’s a lot like when I was in high school. I’m not sure if that’s something I should be proud of or not.
Anyway, I recently completed my graduate degree and have an entire backlog of stuff that I wanted to share here but, because I was insanely busy, did not have the time to do so. So, we’ll kick things off with a final project I did for my character design class back in December.
The character is one I’ve had bouncing around in my head for quite some time, “The Phantom-Fury.” I have included a complete turn and a page of facial expressions for your edification. The thing to note, and something that will become apparent through subsequent posts, is that it took an entire semester for me to realize that the entire point of the class was “simplify, simplify, simplify!”